Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Mom's Projects

I visited my parents in Vanderhoof today and just had to capture a few of the things that Mom has done over the years. Her current crafty project is to make comfy slippers such as the ones pictured here. Believe it or not, she knitted these 75-80 pairs in about three months of her spare time. I've been the lucky recipient of numerous pairs over the years! She loves to give them to people or donate them to worthy causes.






























Although she has always loved to knit, Mom's other passion has been to do "petit point" embroidery. One of my favorite creations of hers is a replica of Rembrant's Night Watch - in my opinion Mom's chef-d'oeuvre.



It took her more than a weekend to whip this one up - more like 600 hours, in fact.








Here are a few of her other Dutch scenes, stitched up through the years........













....with a couple of close-ups of the stitching.








And I suppose no Dutch immigrant home would be complete without a display of all the famous windmills from the old country.




Finally, here's one of Holland's well-known church towers.
That's a great collection, Mom (but only a sampling, of course, of the many things you've created)!











No comments: